Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Floating the creek ain't nothin' like floatin' to Dallas!

Our trip to the Big D was a great time for all of us!
We had a bit of trouble getting off to a start. Jason had to work Thursday morning and he got home about 45 minutes later than expected....which was not too bad b/c I had the car loaded and ready....
Jason showered, took care of the dog ( and orders for her) and off we went..almost.
I forgot to get my keys so back in I went to arrive back in the car with the house phone in hand... so back in the house once more.(None of this is hard, except for keeping the cats out of the garage each time we open and close it so they won't have free reign while we are away)
As we are leaving Dalhart, I am telling Jason I wish I could have been more ready, but it is hard to pack for 5 people and not forget something important, like my medicine.... My medicine! I forgot my medicine.... so we head for the hacienda once more.
Now we are 2 hours behind schedule!Jason is beat, so I am driving....he is sleeping, and it starts to rain.... We love rain, but it is coming down in sheets, like buckets and I can't see! He is still sleeping! Then, the windshield wiper on the passenger side...QUITS! KUPUT no more.
So here we go down Hwy 87 in pouring rain with one winshield wiper.

Did I mention the fact that Jason thought we could make it to Amarillo to fill up with gasoline? Well at this point the low fuel warning sign lights up, Jason says "Have you ever seen that?" "No" I reply, " I don't let it get that low."

So now the kids are a bit concerned... which is icing on the cake about now. We call a friend who tells us to check a nut, not the one driving in the rain w/o wipers or gas, the one on the wiper. But by now, it has stripped gears, and so had a few others :)

We slide into Amarillo on a wing and a prayer to get our gas, float down the road to the parts house and get a new wiper arm, and float back over to Harbor Freight Tool to get something to install the new wiper. Jason goes into HFT and about 45 minutes later, comes back with a pair of plyers stating he won't be going back to this place again.....

So we are off once more.

We drive most of the day in pouring rain, Jason sleeping, and me a little nervous about seeing the road. We did make it to Richard and Frieda's house without any complaints and had a great time with them

I got a good report at the doctor in Dallas. The kids were able to play in the water at Roundrock and we spent a good bit of time in Bass Pro Shops...my kids love that store, and so does Jason.

I will get some photos on here later!

1 comment:

Sydni said...

Thanks for the laughs! This post was worth the wait. I'm sure the pictures will be worth waiting for as well. I guess some of us have a little more to do than some others of us... Glad you got a good report and spent some good time with the Dicksons!